Saturday, June 9, 2012

Legend Of The Condor Heroes 1983 TVB Series Re-watch



I'm excited. I just received my DVDs of the 1983 TVB version of the Legend Of The Condor Heroes to arrive. Part one of Jin Yong/Louis Cha's famous Condor Heroes trilogy, it follows the story and adventures of simple-minded Guo Jing and his partner-in-crime Huang Rong. While the sequel, Return Of The Condor Heroes, is much more popular, I think the first part is actually better story-wise.

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by the martial arts heroes genre, and spent hours watching tapes of young heroes and heroines fighting off evil and navigating the martial arts world of ancient China, which seemed to exist separately from the actual Chinese government of the era.

The best thing about the Condor Heroes are the characters. It's your basic coming-of-age story, but what makes the story so special is Huang Rong, the love interest. When you meet her, she's impulsive, petty, but also ruthless and smart, complementing Guo Jing's simple-mindedness and innocence. She's one of my all-time favorite characters, ever.

I'll be watching this again, and writing down my impressions as an adult. It'll be interesting to compare my childhood impressions with my adult outlook. One caveat: I do not have any screen capture software, so most of my posts will be heavy on the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment