Friday, November 30, 2012

Tikki Tikki Tembo Isn't Accurate? Stop The Presses!




I picked up Tikki Tikki Tembo from the library after being overcome with a wave of nostalgia. I brought it home, and read it to my daughter, and found myself laughing at the ridiculous so-called "Chinese folktale" being retold by Arlene Mosel.

There are a number of things wrong with this version of the folktale, starting with the fact that the origins of the folktale appear to be Japanese, not Chinese. "Tikki Tikki Tembo" aren't Chinese sounds, "Chang" is a surname, and doesn't mean "little or nothing", the characters all seem to be wearing Japanese sandals, and in one scene, Chang bows backwards, which just looks weird, and which no one ever does.

I was expecting Tikki Tikki Tembo to die, given how long he'd been in the well. But he is miraculously saved. I think there are some versions where he dies.

As to whether there's any damage done, or whether I'll do any to my daughter, I don't think so. I tried to follow this tedious discussion on a Children's Lit listserv, but it only served to frustrate me.


No comments:

Post a Comment