Sunday, August 19, 2012

How To Watch Chinese/Cantonese Media Online

The day before yesterday, I came across a site that provided me with lots of Cantonese gossip, and then I got sucked into watching movie trailer after movie trailer. It made me feel a little homesick, to be honest. When I lived at home, my family had a membership at a Chinese rental store, and we would rent movies and TV shows to watch. I credit our consumption of Cantonese media with my absorption of the Cantonese language.

So of course I complained on Facebook about it, and promptly received several suggestions about where I could consume media online. Here are the suggestions:


  • PPS.TV - Requires registration (which I think is free), and the entire site is in Chinese. I can read a little Chinese, but it takes a lot of effort, so I'm not sure I can use this one.
  • MapleStage - Recommended for dramas. Site is also in Chinese, and subtitles are in Chinese. Dramas are from mainland China, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan. 
  • Hulu - Supposedly has some, but a cursory search was unhelpful to me. 
  • AzDrama.Net - MONEY - Site is written in English, and contains Hong Kong dramas and shows. You can sort by shows with English subtitles, although many of the shows have Chinese subtitles. There are also Taiwanese shows and Chinese shows. Note: Their search sucks, and is one of the worst in-site search engines I've ever seen. I did a search for "condor heroes" to see if they had "Legend of the Condor Heroes", and every single search result took me to the HK Drama page. 
  • Crunchyroll - Was not mentioned, but was one of the sites I originally used to watch Cantonese shows. The focus seems to have shifted to Japanese and Korean dramas, but they still have Cantonese shows from Tai Seng Entertainment on. The selection is limited, though, because I think Tai Seng has an ongoing dispute with Crunchyroll, and they took a bunch of popular shows offline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment