Thursday, May 17, 2012

Adventures In Greening The Mail

I finally decided to work on getting rid of junk mail. The piles upon piles of paper to be weeded through and shredded got to be too much. I started last year.
  • Unsubscribed from former favorite catalogs: Ann Taylor Loft, Uncommon Goods, etc.
  • Unsubscribed from credit card offers/checks on Chase and Discover. Went to settings via Chase website; used the live chat function on Discover to request that checks stop being sent to me.
  • Removed self from Pennysavers mailing list. You can use this link to unsubscribe from their mailing list. At the time I did this, the following applied: "You must affirm that you are the head of the household and at least 18 years of age. It takes at least 4-6 weeks to cancel and the suppression from their mailing list is only valid for 1 year high household mobility rate of people changing residences in California and Florida." So far, we haven't been getting the Pennysavers ads. 
  • Removed self from Valpak coupons. Use this link to unsubscribe
  • Called and/or emailed to have people removed from mailing lists who no longer live at our address. Includes: Abercrombie & Kent, CAFAM, USC Alumni Association, etc. 
  • Used PaperKarma app to unsubscribe from unwanted mailings. It's very easy - snap a picture of the mailing address you want to be unsubscribed from, and they'll send a request on your behalf. Currently the app is free and is available on iOS, Android, and Windows phones. You can only unsubscribe from mail that is directly addressed to you, so I also installed the app on my husband's phone, and I also unsubscribe him from stuff when I see it addressed to him. 
I found it hilarious that Pennysavers links to this "fact sheet" that says that efforts to reduce junk mail are misguided and will cost people jobs. One, if I never use the information that's sent to me, it's a waste of my time to have to sift through it. Two, if it costs people jobs, then maybe the industry should work out a different solution than annoying people with trash. 

I am now working on getting my husband to go paperless with his statements. It's...slow-going, to say the least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment