Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cooking Failure: Brussels Sprouts Chips


Today I had brussels sprouts from the farmers' market. Usually I roast them in the oven, and that's plenty good for me, but I wanted to check out some alternative recipes. I found this brussels sprouts chips recipe, which promises to convert brussels sprouts haters. It was also attractive because it was simple.

I actually did roast my brussels sprouts, but since I had to remove a lot of the outer leaves anyway, I decided to test out the recipe with those discarded leaves. After dinner, I salted and peppered them, and added olive oil. I stuck them in the oven and waited 10 minutes, as instructed on the recipe. That was my mistake. 

By the time I checked on them, most of the leaves were burnt. I tasted an unburnt one, and was unimpressed. I had added too much salt, and the leaf didn't taste much different than a regular brussels sprout. It wasn't crispy like a chip, and if you were a brussels sprouts hater already, well, you would still be a brussels sprouts hater. Still, I think I will try this recipe again, with a few changes.

Lessons learned:

  1. Easy on the salt.
  2. If it's the first time with the recipe, check the oven frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment